Students can Download English Lesson 1 A Tiger in the House Questions and Answers, Summary, Notes Pdf, Activity, KSEEB Solutions for Class 7 English helps you to revise the complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and to clear all their doubts, score well in final exams.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 7 English Prose Chapter 1 A Tiger in the House
A Tiger in the House Questions and Answers, Summary, Notes
C. Speaking, Reading and Writing Questions and Answers:
When did grandfather discover the tiger cub? Who named him“Timothy”? Who fed him? What was Timothy’s diet?
Grandfather discovered the tiger cub while he was on a hunting expedition in the Terai Jungle near Dehra. Grandfather named the tiger cub “Timothy”.
Grandfather’s cook Mahmoud fed the tiger cub. Initially Timothy was given only milk. Later on, he was put on a diet of raw mutton and cod liver oil and later by a more tempting diet of pigeons and rabbits.
Who were Timothy’s two companies? How did they show him that they were not afraid of him?
Timothy’s two companies were (1) Toto, the monkey and a small mongrel puppy. Toto was bold enough to pull the young tiger by its tail. The small mongrel puppy used to crawl on Timothy’s back and rest there.
Timothy was more friendly with Toto than with the puppy. (True / Not True)
When the boy took Timothy out for walks why did people in the street give them a wide berth?
Timothy had the size of a full-grown retriever and were scared whether he will attack them and hence whenever the boy took him out for walks would give them a wide berth.
Timothy had an air of superiority about him. (True / Not True)
Timothy’s wild nature came out gradually. (True / Not True)
Everyone took Grandmother’s warning seriously. (True / Not True)
What changes in Timothy made, Grandfather decide to transfer him to a zoo?
When Timothy was about six months old certain changes came over him.
- He grew steadily less friendly.
- Whenever he was taken out for a walk, he would try to steal away to stalk a cat or someone’s pet.
- He started killing animals in the poultry house and the grandfather used to see feathers all over the veranda in the next day morning.
- Timothy had to be chained up more after.
- Finally when he started stalking Mahmoud in the house which looked like a villainous intent. These above behavior of Timothy made grandfather take a decision to transfer the dog to a zoo.
Why did Grandfather say to the tiger, “Good night Timothy”?
When the grandfather came to know that the tiger in the cage is not his Timothy, He withdraw his hand from the cage and kept his face near the tiger and mumbled . ‘Good night, Timothy’.
Why did the tiger begin to lick grandfather’s hand with more and more relish?
Tiger felt that the grandfather was a friendly person and he will not do any harm to him: The grandfather had put both hands around the tiger’s head, stroked its forehead and ticked his ear.
He also smacked him across the mouth whenever he growled. When the leopard in the next cage snarled at him, the grandfather shooed the leopard away. All these actions of grandfather made the tiger lick his hands with more and more relish.
Why did Grandfather give a scornful look to the keeper?
The leopard in the next cage was frightening the tiger and the keeper was not taking any action on this regard. Hence the Grandfather felt disgusted and gave a scornful look to the keeper.
E. Checking your vocabulary:
Supply the missing words in the following sentences:
- Grandfather knew no one would have a tiger as a co-traveller.
- The onlookers thought Grandfather and the tiger were close friends.
- The tiger was relaxed, but the leopard was tense.
Fill in the blanks choosing the appropriate adverbs or adverb phrases given below:
(When, as, while, till (or until) after, since, as long as, whenever, and once)
- And once I go to the zoo I do not forget to say ‘hello’ to my tiger. .
- He was shocked when I went near the tiger.
- As long as I was relaxed the tiger was also relaxed, but and once I showed the signs of nervousness the tiger became nervous too.
- As I gave my hand to it the tiger began to lick it.
- I haven’t seen my tiger after it ran away from our house.
- While I was saying ‘goodbye’ to my tiger the superintendent came.
- Whenever I was petting the tiger the leopard in the next cage snarled at him.
- “Wait until I ring you up.” the zoo superintendent said.
- We waited for the tiger until it was dark.
- They had left before we reached there.
- I came just after he had hit all six sixes in that over. I missed it.
ii. Questions ending with Prepositions.
A Preposition shows the relation of one word to some other word or words in a sentence.
The most important prepositions are _______ in, at, by, from, for, of, on, to, up, till, until, with, above, before, behind, between, into, against etc.
Supply the missing prepositions in the dialogues given below:
1. Grandmother: Where is Timothy?
mother: He has gone out.
Grandmother: Gone out? Who with?
Bond: with Mahamoud.
2. Mahamoud: Grandfather was shouting at me.
Mother: What against?
Mahmoud: for not tying up Timothy.
3. Bond: Grandfather has brought home a tiger cub!
Grandmother: A tiger cub? Where in?
Bond: from the jungle.
4. Superintendent: Sir, Why are you standing before that cage?
Grandfather: I have been conversing my Timothy.
Superintendent: Really? from how long?
A Tiger in the House Summary in English
Timothy, the tiger cub was discovered by grandfather on a hunting expedition in the Terai jungle. Cub was named Timothy by the grandmother and it was fed milk in a feeding bottle by their cook Mahmoud.
Later he was put on a diet of raw mutton etc. Timothy had 2 companions Toto, the monkey and a small mongrel puppy. Initially it was afraid of the puppy and later on it became friends with him.
The grandson came to his grandparents house. Timothy started playing with him also. When it became a full grown retriever, he was taken for walks. People would get scared of him and go to the side of the road. At home he will be reclining on the sofa majestically.
Timothy had clean habits.
When he was 6 months old he became less friendly. He started stealing other animals for food and troubled the cook also. So Timothy was taken to a zoo in Lucknow and the zoo authorities were glad to receive a well fed and fairly civilized tiger.
After 6 months grandfather went to zoo to see Timothy. When the grandfather approached the cage, he saw full grown tiger with a magnificent striped coat.
The tiger came near him and he stroked it. When the tiger was troubled by a leopard and it would slink back to his corner. Many people gathered to see the reunion of grandfather and tiger.
The keeper was surprised to see the friendly behaviour of the tiger towards grandfather. The grandfather told the keeper to put tiger elsewhere as the leopard kept frightening it.
The grandfather before going back home saw the keeper who was there when he came to leave Timothy in the zoo. The grandfather went to him and asked whether he remembered him.
The keeper told that his tiger died 2 months ago of pneumonia. The grandfather went to the tiger and told goodbye if Timothy and walked briskly out of the zoo.
A Tiger in the House Summary in Kannada